Monday, March 1, 2010

Not Downloading Facetious Babble

Do you agree with Postman that all we must define all media ethically?  Why or why not?  As always, consider how these issues affect you.
I thought that Postman's passage was well thought out and had a great emotional appeal that the public could relate to.  We as humans, in my opinion, are rough by nature and the conditioning that we go through definitely has some benefits as well as disadvantages to living in a life of technology.  We are spoiled by time saving devices that can affect the way that we function as a person when problem solving.  Miscalculating time or even being dependent on a device such as computers to get information across are two of the many important things that could set back our lifestyles drastically.  I have seen many movies that convey how technology can contribute to the human life and how it could strip it bare of its meaning. 

The value of human connection is definitely at risk.  But with any advancement there comes a consequences both beneficial and hurtful to humankind.  Technology has contributed to fast and easy access to limitless information.  If there was a devastating earthquake that might potentially cause a tsunami miles away we have the technology to monitor that now and suggest a warning based on what is gauged.  In the event of something drastic happening we are able to respond within minutes rather than weeks or months.  Pre-industrial and post-industrial lifestyle has definitely made marks on the way that we live our lives.

The people in charge of giving information can distort it or censor what is given though.  Technologies could be used in a bias manner in which would only beneficial to those who had the power to control advancement can pick and choose the demise of entire populations.  With technology I could convey my feelings through written symbols, reminiscence thoughts I have had reading old entries, reach out to my sisters over seas, urge my brother to hang out with me more via text.  I could do an infinite amount of things that I would have to think twice about doing before making moves to do if I didn't have the ability to communicate.  These are reasons why technology is good for humanity.

The bad things that technology could provide in multiplying: false illusions of beauty, yellow journalism,and even pump out false information to start wars.  The way I see it is if a human is involved in out sourcing any information the possibility of it being untrue or a mistaken print is highly likely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment